1. Rahimi S, Nguyen N, Huang Y, Chegini Z, Poenaru D. (2020, October). Towards shared decision-making in Iran: contextualized model development. The Patient – Patient-Centered Outcomes Research. (Submitted)
2. Seyi-Olajide JO, Anderson J, Kaseje N, Ozgediz D, Gathuya Z, Poenaru D, Johnson W, Bickler S, Farmer D, Lakhoo K, Oldham K, Ameh EA on behalf of GICS. (2020, September). Inclusion of children surgery in national surgical plans and child health programmes: the need and roadmap from Global Initiative for Children’s Surgery. Pediatr Surg Int. (Submitted)
3. Dahir S, Cotache-Condor C, Concepcion TL, Mohamed M, Poenaru D, Ismail EA, Leather AJM, Rice HE, Smith ER. (2020, August). Interpreting Lancet Surgical Indicators in Somaliland. BMJ Open. (Submitted)
4. St-Louis E, Petroze R, Baird R, Razek T, Poenaru D, Calland JF, Byiringiro JC, Ntaganda E. (2020). Calibration and validation of the pediatric resuscitation and trauma outcome model among injured children in Rwanda. Journal of pediatric surgery.
5. Ma X, Vervoort D, Poenaru D. (2020). Training Global Surgery Advocates: Strengthening the Global Surgery Voice. McGill J Med, 18(3).
6. Mohtashami S, Safa N, Guadagno E, Baird R, Poenaru D. (2020). Derivation of a DALY-based complication burden score to assess patient burden following surgery – a pilot study. Can J Surg. (Accepted)
7. Balvardi S, St-Louis E, Yousef Y, Toobaie A, Guadagno E, Baird R, Poenaru D. (2020). Systematic Review of Post-Operative Adverse Outcome Grading Systems. Can J Surg. (Accepted)
8. Wright NJ, Lawal TA, Chukwuemeka Anyanwu LJ, Seyi-Olajide JO, Cox S, Malemo L, Bake E, Bake JF, Ki B, Wandaogo A, Béré B, Mohammed A, Abdullahi L, Nwokoro C, Shonubi A, Ameh EA, Ade-Ajayi N, Lakhoo K, Poenaru D, Leather A. (2020). Management and Outcomes of Paediatric Surgical Conditions across Sub-Saharan Africa: Protocol for a Multi-Centre Prospective Cohort Study. BMC Public Health. (Submitted)
9. Vissoci JRN, Ong CT, de Andrade L, Rocha TA, da Silva NC, Poenaru D, Smith ER, Rice HE. (2020). Surgical Care for Children in Brazil: Descriptive and Spatial Analysis. Lancet Global Health. (Submitted)
10. Traynor Jr MD, St. Louis E, Hernandez MC, Alsayed AS, Klinkner DB, Baird R, Poenaru D, Kong VY, Moir CR, Zielinski MD, Clark DL. (2020). Validation of the pediatric resuscitation and trauma (PRESTO) outcome model in a middle-income country. J Am Coll Surg. (Submitted)
11. Beaudoin PL, Munden J, Faye M, Ndiaye IC, SewitchM, Ayad T, Poenaru D. (2020). An Evidence-Based Approach to Identify Barriers in Access to Care for Patients with Head and Neck Cancers: A Field Study in Dakar. JAMA OTL-HNS. (Submitted)
12. Meng F, Zuo KJ, Amar-Zifkin A, Baird R, Cugno S, Poenaru D. (2020). Pediatric burn contractures in low- and lower middle-income countries: A systematic review of causes and factors affecting outcome. Burns : journal of the International Society for Burn Injuries, 46(5), 993-1004.
13. Nguyen N, Leveille E, Guadagno E, Kalisya LM, Poenaru D. (2020). Use of mobile health technologies for postoperative care in paediatric surgery: A systematic review. Journal of telemedicine and telecare, 1357633X20934682.
14. Smith ER, Concepcion TL, Shrime M, Niemeier K, Mohamed M, Dahir S, Ismail EA, Poenaru D, Rice HE, Global Initiative for Children’s Surgery. (2020). Waiting Too Long: The Contribution of Delayed Surgical Access to Pediatric Disease Burden in Somaliland. World journal of surgery, 44(3), 656-664.
15. Beaudoin PL, Anchouche S, Gaffar R, Guadagno E, Ayad T, Poenaru D. (2020). Barriers in Access to Care for Patients With Head and Neck Cancer in Resource-Limited Settings: A Systematic Review. JAMA otolaryngology– head & neck surgery.
16. Traynor MD, St Louis E, Hernandez MC, Alsayed AS, Klinkner DB, Baird R, Poenaru D, Kong VY, Moir CR, Zielinski MD, Laing GL, Bruce JL, Clarke DL. (2020). Comparison of the Pediatric Resuscitation and Trauma Outcome (PRESTO) Model and Pediatric Trauma Scoring Systems in a Middle-Income Country. World journal of surgery, 44(8), 2518-2525.
17. Rocha TAH, Vissoci J, Rocha N, Poenaru D, Shrime M, Smith ER, Rice HE, Global Initiative for Children’s Surgery. (2020). Towards defining the surgical workforce for children: a geospatial analysis in Brazil. BMJ open, 10(3), e034253.
18. Cairo SB, Pu Q, Malemo Kalisya L, Fadhili Bake J, Zaidi R, Poenaru D, Rothstein DH. (2020). Geospatial Mapping of Pediatric Surgical Capacity in North Kivu, Democratic Republic of Congo. World journal of surgery.
19. Niburski K, Guadagno E, Mohtashami S, Poenaru D. (2020). Shared decision making in surgery: A scoping review of the literature. Health expectations : an international journal of public participation in health care and health policy.
20. Concepcion TL, Dahir S, Mohamed M, Hiltbrunn K, Ismail EA, Poenaru D, Rice HE, Smith ER, Global Initiative for Children’s Surgery. (2020). Barriers to Surgical Care Among Children in Somaliland: An Application of the Three Delays Framework. World journal of surgery, 44(6), 1712-1718.
21. St-Louis E, Luo L, Tissingh E, Razek T, Poenaru D. (2019). Experience and Satisfaction of Trauma Registry Users in Low- and Middle-Income Countries: A SWOT analysis. Afr J Pediatr Surg. (Submitted)
22. Wright, N and Jensen, G and St-Louis, E and Grabski, D and Yousef, Y and Kaseje, N and Goodman, L and Anderson, J and Ameh, E and Banu, T and others. (2019). Global Initiative for Children’s Surgery: A Model of Global Collaboration to Advance the Surgical Care of Children. World Journal of Surgery, 43, NA.
23. St-Louis E, Hassamal R, Razek T, Baird R, Poenaru D, Hardcastle TC. (2019). Validation of the PRESTO Score in Injured Children in a South-African Quaternary Trauma Center. Journal of pediatric surgery.
24. Poenaru D, Seyi-Olajide JO. (2019). Developing metrics to define progress in children’s surgery. World J Surg, 43(6), 1456-65.
25. Toobaie, Asra and Yousef, Yasmine and Balvardi, Saba and St-Louis, Etienne and Baird, Robert and Guadagno, Elena and Poenaru, Dan. (2019). Incidence and prevalence of congenital anomalies in low-and middle-income countries: A systematic review. Journal of pediatric surgery, 54, NA.
26. Wright, Naomi and Abantanga, Francis and Amoah, Michael and Appeadu-Mensah, William and Bokhary, Zaitun and Bvulani, Bruce and Davies, Justine and Miti, Sam and Nandi, Bip and Nimako, Boateng and others. (2019). Developing and implementing an interventional bundle to reduce mortality from gastroschisis in low-resource settings. Wellcome Open Research, 4, NA.
27. Concepcion TL, Smith ER, Mohamed M, Dahir S, Ismail EA, Leather AJM, Poenaru D, Rice HE, Global Initiative for Children’s Surgery. (2019). Provision of Surgical Care for Children Across Somaliland: Challenges and Policy Guidance. World journal of surgery, 43(11), 2934-2944.
28. Ademuyiwa AO, Odugbemi TO, Bode CO, Elebute OA, Alakaloko FM, Alabi EO, Bankole O, Ladipo-Ajayi O, Seyi-Olajide JO, Okusanya B, Abazie O, Ademuyiwa IY, Onwuka A, Tran T, Makanjuola A, Gupta S, Ots R, Harrison EM, Poenaru D, Nwomeh BC. (2019). Prevalence of surgically correctable conditions among children in a mixed urban-rural community in Nigeria using the SOSAS survey tool: Implications for paediatric surgical capacity-building. PloS one, 14(10), e0223423.
29. Wright NJ, Global PaedSurg Research Collaboration. (2019). Management and outcomes of gastrointestinal congenital anomalies in low, middle and high income countries: protocol for a multicentre, international, prospective cohort study. BMJ open, 9(8), e030452.
30. Alakaloko, Felix Makinde and St-Louis, Etienne and Ademuyiwa, Adesoji O and Poenaru, Dan and Bode, Christopher and others. (2019). Determination of visual portfolio for surgeons overseas assessment of surgical needs Nigeria study: Consensus generation through an e-Delphi process. Nigerian Journal of Surgery, 25(1), 30.
31. Concepcion, Tessa and Mohamed, Mubarak and Dahir, Shugri and Ismail, Edna Adan and Poenaru, Dan and Rice, Henry E and Smith, Emily R. (2019). Prevalence of Pediatric Surgical Conditions Across Somaliland. JAMA network open, 2(1), e186857–e186857.
32. Grabski, David and Ameh, Emmanuel and Ozgediz, Doruk and Oldham, Keith and Abantanga, Francis A and Abdel-malak, Mohamed and Abdulraheem, Nurudeen and Ade-Ajayi, Niyi and Ismail, Adan and Ademuyiwa, Adesoji and others. (2019). Optimal Resources for Children’s Surgical Care: Executive Summary. World Journal of Surgery, 43(4), 978–980.
33. Vissoci JRN, Ong CT, Andrade L, Rocha TAH, Silva NCD, Poenaru D, Smith ER, Rice HE, Global Initiative for Children’s Surgery. (2019). Disparities in surgical care for children across Brazil: Use of geospatial analysis. PloS one, 14(8), e0220959.
34. Whitaker J, Denning M, O’Donohoe N, Poenaru D, Guadagno E, Leather A; Davies J. (2019). Assessing trauma care health systems in low and middle income countries, a protocol for a systematic literature review and narrative synthesis. Syst Reviews, 8(157), 2019.
35. Pilkington, Mercedes and Situma, Martin and Winthrop, Andrea and Poenaru, Dan. (2018). Quantifying delays and self-identified barriers to timely access to pediatric surgery at Mbarara Regional Referral Hospital, Uganda. Journal of pediatric surgery, 53(5), 1073–1079.
36. Poenaru D. (2018). Holistic Transformational Development through Surgical Care. W Carey Int Dev J Health and Disease.
37. Goodman LF, St-Louis E, Yousef Y, Cheung M, Ure B, Ozgediz D, Ameh EA, Bickler S, Poenaru D, Oldham K, Farmer D, Lakhoo K, GICS Collaborators. (2018). The Global Initiative for Children’s Surgery: Optimal Resources for Improving Care. European journal of pediatric surgery : official journal of Austrian Association of Pediatric Surgery … [et al] = Zeitschrift fur Kinderchirurgie, 28(1), 51-59.
38. Yousef, Yasmine and Lee, Angela and Ayele, Frehun and Poenaru, Dan. (2018). Delayed access to care and unmet burden of pediatric surgical disease in resource-constrained African countries. Journal of pediatric surgery, 53, NA.
39. Smith ER, Concepcion T, Lim S, Sadler S, Poenaru D, Saxton AT, Shrime M, Ameh E, Rice HE, Global Initiative for Children’s Surgery. (2018). Disability Weights for Pediatric Surgical Procedures: A Systematic Review and Analysis. World journal of surgery, 42, 1-4.
40. Paradis T, St-Louis E, Landry T, Poenaru D. (2018). Strategies for successful trauma registry implementation in low- and middle-income countries-protocol for a systematic review. Systematic reviews, 7(1), 33.
41. Yousef, Yasmine and Youssef, Fouad and Homsy, Michael and Dinh, Trish and Stagg, Hayden and Petroze, Robin and Baird, Robert and Larberge, Jean-Martin and Poenaru, Dan and Puligandla, Pramod and others. (2018). Appropriate use of total parenteral nutrition in children with perforated appendicitis. Journal of pediatric surgery, 53(5), 991–995.
42. Yousef Y, Youssef F, Dinh T, Pandya K, Stagg H, Homsy M, Baird R, Laberge JM, Poenaru D, Puligandla P, Shaw K, Emil S. (2018). Risk stratification in pediatric perforated appendicitis: Prospective correlation with outcomes and resource utilization. Journal of pediatric surgery, 53(2), 250-255.
43. Dewan, Michael C and Baticulon, Ronnie E and Ravindran, Krishnan and Bonfield, Christopher M and Poenaru, Dan and Harkness, William. (2018). Pediatric neurosurgical bellwether procedures for infrastructure capacity building in hospitals and healthcare systems worldwide. Child’s Nervous System, 34(10), 1837–1846.
44. Shrime MG, Alkire BC, Grimes C, Chao TE, Poenaru D, Verguet S. (2017). Cost-Effectiveness in Global Surgery: Pearls, Pitfalls, and a Checklist. World journal of surgery, 41(6), 1401-1413.
45. Yousef Y, Youssef F, Homsy M, Dinh T, Pandya K, Stagg H, Baird R, Laberge JM, Poenaru D, Puligandla P, Shaw K, Emil S. (2017). Standardization of care for pediatric perforated appendicitis improves outcomes. Journal of pediatric surgery, 52(12), 1916-1920.
46. Emil S, O’Neill J, Poenaru D. (2017). Let our fellows go: a plea for allowing global surgery electives during pediatric surgical training. Journal of pediatric surgery, 52(12), 2088-2090.
47. Toobaie A, Emil S, Ozgediz D, Krishnaswami S, Poenaru D. (2017). Pediatric surgical capacity in Africa: Current status and future needs. Journal of pediatric surgery, 52(5), 843-848.
48. Chung KY, Hanemaayer A, Poenaru D. (2017). Pediatric Hand Surgery in Global Health: The Role for International Outreach. Annals of plastic surgery, 78(2), 162-170.
49. Poenaru D, Lin D, Corlew S. (2016). Economic Valuation of the Global Burden of Cleft Disease Averted by a Large Cleft Charity. World journal of surgery, 40(5), 1053-9.
50. Ford K, Poenaru D, Moulot O, Tavener K, Bradley S, Bankole R, Tshifularo N, Ameh E, Alema N, Borgstein E, Hickey A, Ade-Ajayi N. (2016). Gastroschisis: Bellwether for neonatal surgery capacity in low resource settings?. Journal of pediatric surgery, 51, 1262-1267.
51. Poenaru D. (2016). The burden of pediatric surgical disease in low-resource settings: Discovering it, measuring it, and addressing it. Journal of pediatric surgery, 51(2), 216-20.
52. Ozgediz D, Langer M, Kisa P, Poenaru D. (2016). Pediatric surgery as an essential component of global child health. Seminars in pediatric surgery, 25(1), 3-9.
53. Greenberg SL, Ng-Kamstra JS, Ameh EA, Ozgediz DE, Poenaru D, Bickler SW. (2016). An investment in knowledge: Research in global pediatric surgery for the 21st century. Seminars in pediatric surgery, 25(1), 51-60.
54. Silverberg SL, Poenaru D. (2016). Cultural Competency in Epidemic Responses: A Missing Lesson from the Ebola Outbreak. McMaster University Medical Journal, 31, 21-23.